Interlibrary loan requests for older items can be made using the MNLINK System. Requests can also be placed over the phone.
If your item was published recently, please fill out a purchase request form using the button below. New materials may not be borrowed through interlibrary loan.
What is interlibrary loan?
Duluth Public Library can borrow materials that are not in our catalog from other libraries for our patrons.
How do I use MNLink?
How likely am I to get what I request?
About 85% of requests are filled.
What can't I get through interlibrary loan?
Newly released DVDs, newly published books, ebooks and digital movies, eReaders, computer software, or entire issues of magazines are unavailable.
How much does it cost?
There is no fee for this service.
How long will it take?
Most requests are filled within 2 weeks. Materials that are in high demand, hard to find, or owned by only a few libraries may take longer.
How can I check the status of my request?
You can check your account on MnLINK
or call the Interlibrary Loan Office at 218-730-4228.
What happens when my interlibrary loan materials come in?
You will be notified by phone or email. Once you are notified, the materials will be held at the circulation desk of your chosen library branch.
How long can I keep my interlibrary loan materials?
Loan periods for most items are the same as if they were owned by Duluth Public Library: 4 weeks for books and CDs, 2 weeks for DVDs. In some cases, loan periods may be shortened. It is in your best interest to pick up your materials promptly.
Can I renew my interlibrary loan materials?
Usually, no. If you need an item for longer than the loan period, the best approach is to return the item on time and place a new request. If that's not a workable solution, we can request a renewal from the lending library, but it requires a few days’ notice, and many libraries simply do not renew ILL materials.
What are the restrictions on these services?
- If the Duluth Public Library owns or has ordered the item you want, it cannot be requested through interlibrary loan
- You may have up to 5 active requests per card at one time (this includes book groups and classes)
- Your card cannot be expired and you cannot owe more than $5 in fees or other charges
- Patrons with temporary library cards are not eligible for interlibrary loan services
- Students should request course materials through their school library
- Copyright restrictions may apply to some photocopy requests