WHAT IS EVERY CHILD READY DULUTH?
Children can’t get themselves school ready. They rely on their families to help them develop healthy relationships, to build necessary social and emotional skills, and to encourage their curiosity and creativity. They need a strong education system that connects with, responds to, and supports them and their families. A community that values prioritizes and advocates for school readiness helps children and families to thrive. Together, these concentric rings of support—family, education, and community—can help Duluth’s children become school-ready.
The Every Child Ready Duluth initiative provides an opportunity to help the whole city of Duluth understand school readiness and embrace it as a priority for a healthy community. Many local organizations are already providing important services and resources to improve school readiness, and Every Child Ready Duluth hopes to increase communication and collaboration between groups to create a more equitable and interconnected system of early childhood care, education, and support.
WHAT IS SCHOOL READINESS?
School readiness is more than just knowing your ABCs and 123’s—those are just part of what’s needed. There are many different factors that affect a child’s readiness, starting at birth, but there is no perfect formula to know when a child is ready for kindergarten. We do know that school ready children need:
- To be safe, secure, healthy, and have their basic needs met
- Secure attachments and positive, supportive relationships with adults
- Opportunities to develop strong social and emotional skills
- Opportunities to develop skills and knowledge such as early literacy, number sense, and other cognitive skills and to learn these through play
- Confidence in their inherent worth and the value of their unique background and abilities
In order to address these varied aspects of school readiness, it will take a coordinated community effort that provides support and educational opportunities for parents and caregivers and their children from birth to kindergarten. The Every Child Ready Duluth initiative is collaborating with community partners and developing a coalition to help bridge the gaps in school readiness throughout Duluth. The collective planning process has involved organizations, individuals, and businesses already working to educate, care for, and support young children in Duluth. We are creating four Action Teams: 1. Ready Community, 2. Ready Education System and Early Childhood Educators, 3. Ready Families and Caregivers, and 4. Ready Child.
WHY DOES SCHOOL READINESS MATTER?
The consequences for those children who are not school ready can be staggering: lower-income over their lifetimes, poorer health for themselves and their children, and reduced civic engagement. Research shows that improvement in early school readiness supports can have a significant impact, improving children’s life outcomes and helping close the opportunity gap. Investing in early childhood benefits an entire community not only socially but economically too.
COLLABORATE WITH EVERY CHILD READY DULUTH!
- Join one of our Action Teams to collaborate on the needs of children and their families.
- Sign up for our Every Child Ready Duluth eNewsletter to receive regular updates about Every Child Ready Duluth and partner activities and opportunities across Duluth.
- Join our Every Child Ready Duluth Facebook group!
Email Carmella Hatch (firstname.lastname@example.org) to join an Action Team or subscribe to our eNewsletter!
Carmella Hatch, Early Literacy Librarian
(218) 730-4222, email@example.com