Get a Library Card
It's FREE and EASY! Library cards are free for anyone living in the Arrowhead region. Choose the type of card you would like from the two options below. The Duluth Public Library is a member of the Arrowhead Library System (ALS). A Duluth Public Library card grants you the ability to check out materials at any ALS library.
Library Card with Physical and Digital Access
- Access to both physical and electronic materials
- Immediate ability to check out materials
- To get a library card with physical and digital access, you must have a government-issued photo ID (e.g., state-issued driver's license, state-issued ID card, passport, military ID, tribal ID, etc.) and proof of your current address. For children under the age of 14, we require a photo ID and the signature of a parent or guardian.
- Come into one of our locations to complete your registration.
- Or register online to get a temporary card number that can be used to place holds. You will still have to complete your registration in person before you can check out materials.
For off-site locations and school groups:
Digital Access Card
- Access to ONLY electronic materials—e-books, audiobooks, magazines, and databases
- Available to residents of the City of Duluth only
- Access to materials in 5-10 business days
- Register online and check the box indicating “I want to check out only electronic materials”
- Your application will be processed by library staff and a card will be mailed to you. You should receive it within 5-10 business days. If you want immediate access, visit one of our locations and apply for a standard card.
- If you live outside of the city limits of Duluth, apply for a card with the Arrowhead Library System.
- An E-access card can be converted to a Standard Card at any time. Visit one of our locations with a government-issued ID (e.g., state-issued driver's license, state-issued ID card, passport, military ID, tribal ID, etc.) to verify your identity.
Students attending a regional college or university can get a library card when they provide a valid photo ID and their current student ID.
Issued to residents with proper ID but no proof of address. Checkout limited to four items at a time. Allows access to digital resources.
For businesses, schools, and other agencies.
For out-of-state residents, access the Duluth Public Library is available for an annual fee of $55.00. In addition to the fee, out-of-state patrons must provide a library card from their home library. Non-Resident cards may be used to check out books, movies, music, etc. Downloadable audiobooks and ebooks, and access to databases are not included, due to licensing agreements.
Minnesota residents who live outside of the Arrowhead region can have their home library card registered for use in the Arrowhead Library System.