The Duluth Public Library welcomes gifts of materials from individuals, publishers and organizations. Please be aware of the following guidelines:
- Gifts made to the Duluth Public Library become the property of the library. Gift materials are evaluated according to the same collection policy and standards that govern the acquisition and retention of purchased materials.
- Materials accepted as gifts and not added to the collection will be sold, donated to the Friends of the Duluth Public Library for sale in support of the library, or discarded.
- The library provides gift acknowledgments on request, but will not appraise the value of gifts.
- Gifts added to the collection are a means of replacing out-of-print materials, providing additional copies of popular and high-demand items, filling gaps in subject coverage, and an alternative means of acquiring materials that would otherwise have been purchased. Gifts will not be used as the sole or principal means of developing any collection.
- Gifts given as special collections or memorial collections will not be shelved as separate physical entities. Such collections will be accepted only with the understanding that they will be integrated into the general collection. The only form of memorial identification will be the library's gift plate.
- When the library receives a cash donation for the purchase of materials, the general nature or subject area of the materials to be purchased will be based upon the wishes of the donor. Selection of specific titles, however, will be made by the library staff in accordance with the general selection policy.
- All gifts of cash or stock will be subject to City of Duluth policies and procedures.
- Other alternatives for donations include the Friends of the Duluth Public Library, which raises funds for immediate library needs, or the Duluth Library Foundation, which is building an endowment for the future. Both are 501(c)3 organizations.
The Duluth Public Library's policies are subject to change without notice.
Adopted October 2011
Duluth Public Library Board