Duluth Public Library staff may photograph and/or video record event participants and library visitors at library programs, events, and other activities to advance the mission of the library. By attending library programs and events you authorize the use and reproduction by the library, or anyone authorized by the library, to any photographs, audio or video taken while at any Duluth Public Library location or library-sponsored event, without compensation.
Photos, audio and/or video are used for library publicity only. Photos may be posted to the library's social media sites including but not limited to Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, and the Duluth Public Library website. For safety and privacy reasons, children's names will not be published with accompanying photos without a parent’s or guardian’s permission. Adults’ names will not be published with accompanying photos without the adult’s permission.
If you do not wish to be photographed, please talk to a library staff member before the event or program.
Prohibited Uses of Photos: All Duluth Public Library photos are copyrighted and may not be used as stock photography.
Public Photography and Filming in the Library
The Library permits the use of photographic, digital imaging and film equipment so long as such use does not interfere with the public’s right to the enjoyment of the Library for its intended purpose or violate the privacy rights of any user of the Duluth Public Library.
- Photography or filming must avoid capturing identifiable likenesses of individuals without permission. All individuals photographing or filming on Library property must honor requests of individuals not to be included in photos or film.
- Photos or filming of minors is prohibited without the explicit permission of the parent or legal guardian of the child.
- None of the filming or photography is to impede or interfere with access to any parts of the library or library materials for patrons.
- Under no circumstances will a person be able to modify or rearrange the property of the Library for photographic purposes without first obtaining specific permission from the Library staff.
- Individuals wishing to take photos or film of any of the Library property for personal use may do so without special permission so long as it is not disruptive to others.
- Special or unique photography equipment, including but not limited to additional lighting, large tripods or large microphones shall not be permitted unless explicitly agreed to by the Library Manager or a Library Supervisor.
News and Media Photography
The Library shall grant access and permission to any media photographer who is recording a news story that directly involves the Library and its programs provided notice is given to Library staff and that all Library policies are observed.
The Library accepts no liability for the use of photos or film resulting from the activity of any other person not under the direct supervision of the Duluth Public Library.
Note that any persons filming or photographing on Library premises have the sole responsibility for gaining all necessary releases and permission from persons who are filmed, photographed or imaged.
Further, the photographer or videographer is solely responsible for ensuring that no copyright infringement occurs while conducting his or her activity. The Library undertakes no responsibility for obtaining such releases.
Rights of the Library
The Library reserves the right to enforce all the above provisions at its sole discretion. The Library’s first priority is fulfilling the mission and policies of the Duluth Public Library, and as such has the right to terminate the activities of any person which it feels in its sole discretion are inconsistent with the mission or other policies. All staff of the Duluth Public Library is authorized to terminate any photography, filming or imaging which appears to compromise the safety, security, and enjoyment of its patrons.
The Duluth Public Library’s policies are subject to change without notice.
Approved October 22, 2019
Duluth Public Library Board